The holidays provide a much needed break from the day-to-day routine. They are a time to put aside the daily grind and share quality time with those people we value most in our lives.
However, many of us traditionally equate this time with overindulgence in food and drink and the perfect excuse to be the very vegetables we choose not to eat. While this may at first seem like a fun way to spend the next month, the pleasure quickly fades as January rolls around and we struggle to button our favorite pair of jeans.
The good news is that by making just a few small changes, you can still embrace the festivity of the holidays without having to loosen your belt.
- Don’t bank your calories: You have a big dinner party to go to, so if you just skip breakfast and lunch you can eat three times as much for dinner, right? No, absolutely not! This common misconception will backfire causing you to pack on the extra pounds. By depriving yourself throughout the day, you slow down your metabolism so that when you finally do eat, the calories are burned at a much slower rate. Being in deprivation mode also triggers overeating, so not only are you eating more calories but you’re burning them at a slower rate.
- Drink more water: If you must, then indulge in one alcoholic or sugary drink, but then switch to water. Water is a great appetite suppressant so the more of it that you consume, the less desire you’ll have to fill up on highly caloric foods. Studies have also shown that water boosts the metabolism and cleanses your body of waste so you’ll eat less and burn more.
- Complete your meal with coffee or green tea: Rather than going back for seconds, complete your meal by sipping a cup of coffee or green tea. This will avoid any social awkwardness of being empty handed without adding unnecessary calories, and offers the bonus of boosting your metabolism.
- Take advantage of the beautiful Arizona weather: There are few places that are conducive to outdoor activity during the holidays, but we are fortunate to live in one of them. Take advantage of the beautiful, sunny days and warm temperatures and make outdoor play part of your holiday tradition. Rather than lingering over appetizers before a meal or desserts after, take a group walk or play an outdoor game such as volleyball, corn hole, or ping pong. You’ll feel better, have a great time, and avoid mindless calorie consumption.
- Offer to help the host: If you’re not hosting yourself, the party host will most certainly appreciate your offer to help with serving and cleanup. This will not only keep you up and moving, but it will also be a helpful distraction from sitting and nibbling on the tempting spread of food and drinks.
Make the holidays this year a time of healthy choices so that you can enter the new year feeling renewed and energized, rather than remorseful and sluggish. Medifast Weight Control Centers has a team of compassionate and knowledgeable weight loss experts that you can rely upon to get you through the holiday season and come out ahead in the New Year.
Please call (602) 996-9669 and we’ll provide you with a complimentary consultation to explain how we can help.