The weather is heating up and the days of being able to cover up excess weight with layers of clothing are behind us. Having a great weight loss motivator like that is half the battle, but the determination to take action and the dedication to stick with a plan are still both needed. The great news is that spring has some natural advantages that make losing weight easier than other times of the year. Here’s why:
- Abundant Daylight: After getting off of work during the winter, the sun is setting and the cold, dark weather makes it tempting to head straight home to curl up on the couch. In contrast, the plentiful sunshine of spring provides an energetic boost that compels you to keep moving after the workday is done.
- Increased Vitamin D Levels: Having more opportunity to be in the sun increases Vitamin D levels in our bodies. According to a study done by the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, increased Vitamin D levels has been shown to promote weight loss more than just diet and exercise alone.
- Outdoor Exercise Burns More Calories: People have been found to exercise more rigorously and for longer periods of time when exercising outdoors. Spring is a great time to move your workout routine outside where you will easily shed more pounds.
- Beautiful Weather Decreases Emotional Eating: Dark winter days can cause emotions to dip along with the temperatures, which leads many of us straight to the fridge for those comforting, but calorie laden foods. The warm, sunny days of spring produce a natural high making us much less likely to rely upon food as a mood booster.
- Hot Weather Decreases Appetite: When we metabolize food, our body temperature increases. Therefore, in the colder months, we are biologically programmed to eat more so that we stay warm. On the other hand, during the warmer weather the body works harder to keep cool so the appetite is naturally suppressed.
- Healthy Foods are in Season: Vegetables like arugula, artichokes, spinach, watercress are in season. Sweet delicious strawberries are also at their best. What these foods have in common is their dark green leaves, which are most effective at lowering insulin, which burns fat!
There is no better time than now to take advantage of the natural ways that spring promotes weight loss. Start moving toward your weight loss goals right away by calling the compassionate and knowledgeable professionals of Medifast Weight Control Centers. During your complimentary consultation you will learn how we can help you achieve your weight loss goals more easily than ever.
Call us at (602) 996-9669 today!